Thursday, August 2, 2012

Summer is still here!

My Mother has a habit of saying "when the fourth of July is here, summer is over!"  This has always bothered me.  Summer is still here, and I intend to enjoy it to the end!  This is my go to recipe for a marinade, but I also use it as a dressing.  Let's talk about olive oil.  Is there a difference between regular and extra virgin?  Absolutely!  Don't waste your extra virgin on cooking.  Extra virgin has a smoother, fruitier taste.  It is used for dressings, dipping and to drizzle over a pasta etc.  It is really imperative in your marinades and dressing to use extra virgin.  Have this on hand in your pantry.  I have used this to marinate chicken, pork and steak, as well as shrimp.  It goes well on any salad, but I love it on arugula with cherry tomatoes and toasted pine nuts, yummy!!!  Happy August and enjoy this one!

My best dressing/marinade

Ingredients

1.  1/4 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice or juice of 1 lemon
2.  1 tbs. dijon mustard
3.  1 garlic clove, minced finely
4.  1/4 cup white balsamic vinegar or sherry vinegar
5.  2  tbs. honey
7.  1/2 cup good quality extra virgin olive oil
8.  pinch of salt and pepper
9.  2 tbs. fresh parsley chopped fine

combine all but the oil in the bowl of a food processor or a bowl.  With the motor running or while whisking, slowly add the oil to incorporate.  For a marinade, pour over meat in a plastic bag and seal tightly.  Marinade at least 4 hours, but even better over night.  For a dressing, spoon lightly over salad.  



No comments:

Post a Comment