Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Family First, Always...

As I get older, I wish that I had a really big family.  Growing up, we lived on a street that had 72 kids on it!  I only have my brother Sean, and there was only one other family on the street with 2 kids.  We had a lot of big families, one had 12 children!

My Mother has one sister, my Aunt Johanna.  She is only 16 years older than I, so we are close.  Unfortunately, she lives in Maryland.  I was about 12 when she got married and moved, and I remember crying a lot when she left.  Fortunately we have remained close.  She married a wonderful guy, Bill Kramer, and I must say, they are a really special couple.  

Johanna and Bill had 2 children, Elizabeth and David.  Elizabeth got married 2 years ago to Brian, and is expecting a baby in July.  David married Cindy this past October.  I remember when they were both babies, and find it hard to believe how fast the time has gone!  I am proud of what they both have become and accomplished, and I would expect nothing less after the guidance and love they got from their parents!

I love the ocean, which makes sense since I am a Pisces!  For the past 3 summers, Johanna and Bill have shared their beautiful home with us in Stone Harbor, N.J.  For those who have never heard of Stone Harbor, I won't tell you too much because you'll want to go there, and then it would get crowded, we wouldn't like that at all!!!  It is a quaint, beautiful town on the coast of New Jersey, about an hour south of Atlantic City.  This past summer, we were able to be there at the same time as the entire Kramer family, and it was wonderful.  

So where is this story going, oh yeah! Johanna and Elizabeth are both fabulous cooks.  We love to share recipes, and do so often.  Before Christmas, Elizabeth gave me a recipe that I have made several times, and have already given it to others.  I love brussel sprouts, and this recipe really takes them to another level.  Thank you to my cousin Elizabeth, I love you and can't wait for the new baby to come!  And to my Aunt Johanna, I wish you were closer, I love you!

This recipe is simple and oh so delicious, it will turn brussel sprout hater around!




Crunchy Brussel Sprouts


1 lb. sprouts
2 tbs. olive oil
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup dried cranberries

Slice sprouts thinly. Warm oil in a large skillet.  Add sprouts, nutmeg, salt and pepper.  Cook, stirring until sprouts are wilted.  About 5 minutes. Add walnuts and cranberries and toss.

No comments:

Post a Comment