Tuesday, August 22, 2023

Blackened swordfish with mango salsa and coconut rice

 I love any kind of seafood, and it has so many health and weight loss benefits. This is a simple preparation that is quick, easy and healthy. I made my own blackening spice, but you can certainly use store bought. The salsa comes together so quick with my new chopper! I also found this Badia brand lime pepper and orange pepper. I ordered it and it is amazing! It does have some salt in it as well, so I omit extra salt. It has such a great flavor and really adds to the salsa and rice. I have used both and love them, the link is below.  I prepare the rest of the salsa in the chopper when I am finished so it also helps with cleanup! I have linked it below again in case you want to get one too. The coconut rice is so delicious paired with the swordfish, but I make it all the time. 




Blackened swordfish with mango salsa and coconut rice


  • 2 swordfish steaks
  • 1 tbs. olive oil
For the blackening spices:
  • 1 tsp. brown sugar (I use monkfruit sweetener to cut out the sugar)
  • 1 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1 tsp. paprika
  • 11/2 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. dried thyme
  • 1 tsp. dried oregano
Mix all ingredients well.

For the mango salsa:
  • 2 ripe mangos
  • 1 red bell pepper
  • 1 jalapeno
  • 1 red onion
  • 1 small avocado
  • 1/2 cup cilantro
  • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 tsp Badio lime pepper
For the coconut rice:
  • 1 cup rinsed jasmine rice
  • 1 cup lite coconut milk
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp monkfruit sweetener or sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. Badio lime pepper
  • 1 small piece of ginger and 1 inch piece lemongrass (optional but adds great flavor)
Add your rinsed rice and rice ingredients to a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Stir and cover with a layer of paper towel and a tight fitting lid. Simmer on low for about 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Fluff rice before serving.


Chop all of your salsa ingredients, adding the avocado, lime juice and lime pepper last. Mix well and store in refrigerator while the swordfish cooks.

Dry your swordfish off and season both sides with the blackening seasoning. Heat a nonstick pan over medium high heat. When hot, add the olive oil and coat pan. Add your swordfish steaks and cook for about 3-4 minutes. Flip and cook an addition 3-4 minutes, depending on thickness.  Remove from heat and cover with foil while they continue to cook

Serve the swordfish topped with the salsa, and the rice on the side. I added some chili crisp to the rice for some heat!




No comments:

Post a Comment