Saturday, August 5, 2023

Italian Romano Beans With Tomatoes

 I like green beans, but I love Romano beans! They are out for a short time in the summer and I always buy an abundance. I found them at Wilson Farms in Lexington, but I am sure they are readily available this time of year. They are also called Italian flat beans and you can cook them two ways. First you can boil or steam them in some salt water till they are tender. While they are cooking, saute garlic in some butter and olive oil. When the beans are done, add them to the garlic and serve with freshly grated pecorino romano cheese. The second way is my favorite!  I make a quick tomato sauce with canned cherry tomatoes, onions, garlic and basil. I get my tomatoes on amazon because I love this brand and they are hard to find in the store, the link is below the photo. I use these for a marinara sauce as well with pasta, they are so sweet! When the beans are cooked, I add them to the sauce and garnish with fresh  basil and romano cheese. They are absolutely delicious and so easy!



  • 2 lb. romano beans washed. Snip ends an cut in 1/2
  • 1 can cherry tomatoes
  • 1 tbs. olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic softened in oil and mashed
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp crushed red pepper
  • romano cheese
Clean your beans and add to cold salted water. Boil until tender, about 8-10 minutes. While the beans are cooking, saute garlic in olive oil. When it is soft, mash with a fork. Add crushed pepper to the garlic and oil and add tomatoes. Cook for about 5-10 minutes on low.  Add 1 tsp. chopped basil. Drain beans and add to sauce. Serve from the pan garnished with more fresh basil and grated pecorino romano cheese.





https://amzn.to/45er0B0


No comments:

Post a Comment